Nowadays, companies are conducting online job interviews only. And going through an online job interview for the first time can be daunting.
This article covers tips for how to prepare in advance before facing an online job interview. These six tips will help you get through any online interview:
- Proper Location: Find a good spot to conduct your online meeting the day before to make sure you’re not rushing around before the interview. Make sure your background appears good.
2. Test the Technology: To make sure audio and video are working, you need to test your connection, your camera, your lighting in the room and your sound. Make sure you understand how it all works. And test it one more time before the interview starts.
3. Eliminate Distractions: While facing an online interview, distractions can be daunting and scary too. To avoid it, keep the door and windows in your room closed. Shut off the TV down the hall. Put cell phone on silence mode. Remember to check any pet or kids are not in the room.
4. Plan a Mock Interview: Schedule an interview with a friend, colleague, or family member. Practice to polish your interviewing skills. Take recommendations from your mock interviewer and work on your weak areas.
5. Dress professionally: Remember, first impression matters and lasts longer. Make sure to dress for success and your appearance plays a pivotal role. Also keep up a smile on your face. It shows your confidence.
6. Interview Preparations: Go through the job descriptions thoroughly and understand the role and responsibilities of the position you are going to be interviewed for. Conduct a thorough research on the employer, positions, work environment of the organisation. Make a list of expected questions and practice.
A better and organised plan always gives you fruitful results. So, before jumping directly into any online job interview, find your best place with appropriate background, test your equipment at least twice, try to eliminate all the sources of distractions from the room, request someone to conduct a mock interview, dress professionally to mark good first impression and plan your interview questions in advance.
The best you can do is practice, practice, and practice. The more you practice, the better you'll get with not only online conferencing technology.